[mythtv] Fwd: [linux-dvb] USB DVB-T tuners and MythTV

jd mythdev at penyball.cix.co.uk
Sun Oct 23 18:13:00 UTC 2005

> > the latter needed too many changes across the rest of the library.
> What kind of changes?
subclassing dtvSignalMonitor
  ideally would have only needed SignalMonitor::Init to change
  but it also needed scanwizard/siscan to handle it as well
    -  GetDVBSignalMonitor()->UpdateFiltersFromStreamData();
     was where I stumbled - it just felt wrong to change all this lot

subclassing dvbsignalmonitor
  - I was hoping that I would only have to implement
AddPIDfilter/RemovePIDFilter/RunTableMonitor
 - however this needs much of the private to become protected
  in addition to the SignalMonitor/SiScan amendments above

I was thinking it should be the other way round - ie the base
dvbsignalmonitor class actually being the 'usb' version - not supporting
PES_OTHER/TS_OUT and the current dvbsignalmonitor class extending that by
adding PES_OTHER/TS_OUT support - Again its a lot of change so I thought
I'd see if the big wide world could see an 'obvious' solution - on the
basis that if you show something that works its easier for someone else to
spot the best way to do it properly!

> > but saw the comments about siparser being retired - will this be
> > 'soon'?
> No, too many people have problems with scanning sans siparser.
> It shaves about 2 to 10 seconds per transport off the scan time
> to do without siparser. But it won't disappear before we've
> cleaned up siparser in the next version of MythTV, and hopefully
> integrated whatever makes it work better into the dvbsignalmonitor.
good (for now :)  )

thanks again!