[mythtv] Fwd: [linux-dvb] USB DVB-T tuners and MythTV

jd mythdev at penyball.cix.co.uk
Sun Oct 23 16:19:00 UTC 2005

> I'd consider that a bug too, but I don't consider it a MythTV bug.
> I'm willing to put in any minor hack that would make things work,
> but fixing the driver is much more preferable.

I've worked through the ttusb-dec driver and monitored the usb traffic
between the 2000 and the hauppauge windows software
a) I can't get the windows software to emit any other requests to
manipulate the streams other than those already used by the driver.
b) These requests only ever deliver the SI tables when provided
with a filter, PAT/PMT never appear in the stream unless requested
c) It seems to be possible to get the driver to push section packets onto
the dvr device but it would involve a tremendous kludge behind the scenes
to make requests for all the section types - getting PMT's being really
unpleasant.

> So we need both PES_OTHER and OUT_TS_TAP support.
which doesn't look likely at least with the dec and firmware 2.18 :(

> Without a flag, supporting the USB drivers would probably break
> other DVB drivers. But I really dislike adding more flags, esp
> if they can't be auto-detected easily.

I cannot find any even vaguely portable way of determining whether the
device is usb connected - however at least in my case the dvb hw_decoder
flag serves - so a brute force approach is possible -

in the interests of seeing if anyone can spot a better approach the
attached patch against 7563 works in a system with avermedia 771, pvr250,
dec 2000 on EPIA 10k with dvb hw_decoder set. (haven't tried eit scanning
yet)
I played with subclassing dvbsignalmonitor and dtvsignalmonitor - but the
former needed too many changes to the private parts of the class, the
latter needed too many changes across the rest of the library.

This seems to supports the channel scanning at least as far as
SIParser::CheckTrackers() 'Table[0] complete() == true'  I was going to
investigate // TODO: Emit completion here for tables to siscan
but saw the comments about siparser being retired - will this be 'soon'?