[mythtv] HD-3000 and changes from 18.1 to SVN

Chris Dos chris at chrisdos.com
Wed Oct 19 04:41:05 UTC 2005

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

>>>Hmm, what are your exact compile options? I have a P4 @2.8 Ghz and it
>>>has no problem with software decoding. I'm using:
>>> "-march=pentium4 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer"
>>
>>My compile options are: --cpu=athlon-xp --tune=athlon-xp --enable-mmx
>
> Try mine, "-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer" makes about a 10%-20% difference.
> Also, use march not the old cpu & tune options, and also you should
> know that on many versions of gcc athlon-xp is slower than pentium4
> on Athlons.

On on svn version 7524 now.

I'm using gcc 4.0.  I compiled twice using the following options:
--extra-cflags="-O3 -march=k8 -fomit-frame-pointer "
--extra-cxxflags="-march=k8 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer "
	and
--extra-cflags="-O3 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer " \
--extra-cxxflags="-march=pentium4 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer " \

Using libmpeg I was dropping about 3 frames per second using no deinterlacing
and about 7 frams using deinterlacing.  So a 2.6 to 2.8 ghz is probably the
sweet spot to do software mpeg2 decoding.

>>Well, based what you just said, I would say the A/V diverged code indeed broken.  :)
>
> I improved it a little this morning..

After enabling XvMC, I'm still receiving dropped frames:  The log messages are
totally differn't know:

NVP: Audio is 3.58185 frames ahead of video,
                         doubling video frame interval.
Frame H w/children:  A    F   is being held for later discarding.
Frame H w/children:  A    F   is being held for later discarding.
Frame H w/children:  A    F   is being held for later discarding.
Frame H w/children:  A    F   is being held for later discarding.
NVP: Audio is 4.69679 frames ahead of video,
                         doubling video frame interval.
Frame B w/children:     D F   is being held for later discarding.
Frame B w/children:     D F   is being held for later discarding.
Frame B w/children:     D F   is being held for later discarding.
Frame B w/children:     D F   is being held for later discarding.
AFD: positionMap[ 216 ] == 250758160.

It doesn't say it's diverging anymore.  But the results seem to be the same.

Increasing the buffers to 8192 and 25112 also didn't make any difference.

Is there anything else I can try for you?

	Chris