iPod & generic mp3 player support (was: Re: [mythtv] mythmusic tree construction - can it be changed ?)

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 18 14:04:19 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 18 October 2005 2:30, Eskil Heyn Olsen wrote:

> slowly getting started on iPod support,

Are you planning on making the iPod support generic?  That is, basically
make a generic 'external music device' framework, and have the
iPod-specific interface either inherit from or plug into it?

The reason I ask is because my itch to get mp3 player support has
finally reached critical mass for scratching, and I was thinking of
coding up simple support for copy a playlist to a device.  Initially I
was just thinking of players that can be treated as simple mass storage
devices, which begs the question, do we give Myth a device name and try
to handle mounting/unmounting, or do we simply specify a mount point or
path and leave it as an exercise for the user to set up
automount/autofs properly?

Other than that, it should be quite easy... simply select 'copy playlist
to <device>'; the code could optionally calculate space requirements,
etc., and then just copy the files over.

Just wondering if I should bother, or if I should wait to be able to
plug in/inherit from your iPod framework, or if we should collaborate.

-JAC