[mythtv] Blue screen in playback (SVN 7442)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Oct 13 19:58:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 15:22 -0400, Joshua M. Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 13:05 -0400, Glen Dragon wrote:
> > Quoting Jeremy Muhlich <jmuhlich at bitflood.org>:
> >
> > > That blue is the xv color key, on which the driver normally overlays the
> > > video.  Once or twice I've done something to hose the nvidia driver such
> > > that it won't render video and I get the same blue screen, but no errors
> > > are emitted.  Rebooting fixed it.  If you can fully shut down X and
> > > unload/reload the kernel module that might work too.
> >
> > I also had this problem last night.  Restarting X did the trick.
>
> It happens to me quite frequently when viewing recorded 1080i HDTV
> content. Usually shutting down X and unloading/reloading the nvidia
> driver fixes it, but occasionally I've had to physically reboot the
> machine to get my video back.

Switching to run level 3, then unloading and reloading the nvidia
driver will also work. The problem is that if the frontend crashes
while playing a video it does not return the XVideo port. I think
this is an API bug. They should have used file descriptors for the
XVideo ports, then they would automatically be returned when the
program exited for any reason. But we could fix the MythTV problem
by tracking these ports and returning them on error exits, or
failing that in a script that runs after mythfrontend exits. It
just hasn't been a high priority for me yet as this only happens
after mythfrontend crashes several times. My priority right now
is to make it not crash...

-- Daniel