[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r7463 by danielk (ie using 16:10 display)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Oct 13 19:30:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 15:15 -0400, Glen Dragon wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net>:
> Your last sentence confuses me, Does the sw de-interlacer prevent low
> or high frequency waves? Your two paragraphs seem to contradict
> themselves, or maybe I just misunderstood.
The software deinterlacer prevents both.

An external deinterlacer will only work if the output from MythTV
is still interlaced, which isn't the case if the video has already
been re-sampled by either scaling or deinterlacing.

If you still have these artifacts after turning on deinterlacing,
my guess would be that the deinterlacing is disabled for some reason.
This could happen if you used XvMC or MythTV decided your PC couldn't
handle the deinterlacing, which happens when you play the video at
a a speed other than normal speed...

If you are talking about MythTV showing two portions of two otherwise
unmolested frames one on top of the other, this is probably due to
AVSync problems. Usually, enabling OpenGL VSync fixes this. But most
drivers allow you to enable/disable OpenGL VSync with kernel options,
xorg.conf options, an external utility or environment variables.
This is because the hardware often runs slower if you have VSync
enabled, glxgears might always show 60 or 75 fps if it is enabled.

Because of the "glxgears benchmark" the driver may even default to
disabling VSync!

-- Daniel