[mythtv] Adding support for custom capture card

Luc Gallant llgallan at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 12 19:11:19 UTC 2005

>Why don't you write a V4L driver for this device?  Then any V4L
>compliant software like MythTV would work with it without modification?

>I think this may have some resources in that direction:
>http://www.thedirks.org/v4l2/

This is an idea I originally thought of. There are a few issues I had thought
about too, that hopefully people can help me with:

1. My main goal is to use mythtv for pvr purposes. In the data coming over the
network, there will be sets of data, and within those sets, subchannels. So,
from my understanding, the driver I would write would map those sets and
subchannels to regular channels as we know them . For example, if there are 4
sets with 5 subchannels in each, that would make 20 channels. The user could
then go from channel 1-20 or 300-320, whatever. The EPG then would have to map
to those channels too, which would be accomplished by the driver (because the
epg would be sent in that same pipe with the network video)

2. I haven't read the entire V4L spec, but the video coming over the network is
encoded in MPEG4. Can the V4L device output MPEG4 video? I will read more of the
spec, but if anyone has any clue, just let me know and that would be great.

Those are my two issues. Thanks !

Luc Gallant