[mythtv] DVB EIT Implementation

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Wed Oct 12 09:18:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 09:57:52AM +0100, John Pullan wrote:
> On 11/10/05, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 23:26 +0100, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> > >
> > > Can anybody explain why the EIT processing in siparser
> > > contains all those section trackers & the rest?
> >
> > Jacob Taylor
>
> Transpose the name ("Taylor Jacob") :)

:)

> > John Pullan and I know a bit about it, but it is Jacob's baby.
> >

> I'm just trying to decipher the code myself. see
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/344

That's what got me back looking at this.

Something I noticed while looking at the memory leaks is the
Events map contains events for EVERY channel available, but
GetEmitID only ever picks events from the channels on the
current mplex.

Put another way, there can be event information in the Events
map, but they won't be inserted because of the way GetEmitID
works.

It would also be nice to clear each set of events after we
have inserted them in the database. At the moment we only
do that when siparser is deleted.

IMHO, ideally if GetEmitID is going to say there is nothing
to do then there should be 0 events in the Events map.

> > > Why don't we just
> > > 1) Decode event(s) (ParseDVBEIT, ParseATSCEIT etc)
> > > 2) Queue event(s) directly into eithelper.
> > You need to assemble the TS packets into PES packets before
> > you can call the parse functions, which is what the section
> > trackers do.

I have to say, this was not obvious at all from the code.

It looked like it was just trying to keep track of which
tables it has seen.

> > > After looking for those memory leaks and analysing that
> > > code it made me want to get out the hatchet and perform
> > > some surgery in that area.
> > > Unless there is a good reason I'll start sharpening
> > > the hatched :-)
>
> > There is one reason, this is scheduled for 0.20...

Cool.

> > I for one would like to get 0.19 out before the Linux
> > Journal article on MythTV comes out next month...

That's a good plan.

Stuart