[mythtv] DVB: Heads up! PS format deprecated - TS now usedbydefault

frosts1 at hotkey.net.au frosts1 at hotkey.net.au
Wed Oct 12 07:38:36 UTC 2005

Quoting frosts1 at hotkey.net.au:

> Quoting Torbjörn Jansson <torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se>:
>
> > frosts1 at hotkey.net.au <mailto:frosts1 at hotkey.net.au> wrote:
> > > ringbuffer overflow 120<184 629145
> > > ring buffer overflow 629145
> >
> > This looks very familiar :-)
> > When i was using replex this happend all the time on recordings that
> > sometimes have bad reception (minor blockiness sometimes)
> > Anyway, this is not a mythtv problem.
>
> I agree it is not a myth problem, but if myth needs to produce PS recordings
> in
> order to be able to archive to DVD, removing PS makes mythtv less useful
> which
> is why I raised the issue in this thread.
>
> > TS is better than PS atleast wiht mythtv, PS used to create broken
> > recordings on my dvb card.
> > But my dvb card is one of those dvb-ttpci cards that are very sensitive
> > the powersupply, bad power supply causes bad reception on some channels
> > (different channels on different psu:s)
> > I have tried 3-4 psus before i found one that works, the picture is still
> > not perfect but good enough.
> >

> I dont think it is a reception issue (could be wrong) my box has been rock
> solid
> recording PS with 0.18.1 (KnoppMyth) for a long time. I have however seen
> problems where the stream appeared to be corrupted/broken, but only
> recording
> high def channels. Switching to TS fixed that, but broke the ability to
> create
> DVDs using nuv2disc from my standard def recordings, so I switched back to
> PS
> and stuck with standard def channels (I don't have the grunt for HD
> anyway).
>
> Quoting Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org>:
>
> >  Try the libdvb(dvb-mpegtools) mpeg tools. Specifically ts2ps.
> >
> >     cat source-ts.mpg | ts2ps dest-ps.mpg 0 0
> >
> >           or
> >
> >     ts2ps dest-ps.mpg 0 0 < source-ts.mpg
> >
> >  Works great for me where replex had several issues.
> >
> >  I don't burn them to DVD, but this will at least get you a mpegps file.
> >
> >  Oh, I should point out that the pids of 0/0 there tell it to
> > attempt to automatically pick what pids you want.   You can specify
> > them if the auto choices are not what you want.
> >

> Thanks. I'll give that a go when I get the chance and report back. I'm hoping
> my
> commercial cutter
> (http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=CrudeMPEG2cutForDVB) works with
> the
> TS format too. If I can get it to work, I'll work on the tweaks required
> for
> nuv2disc.
>
> Greg Frost

I ended up giving up on using nuv2disc. All of the tools I was using to process
PS recordings still had issues after converting the recording to PS using ts2ps.
The next release of KnoppMyth will have mythburn automtically integrated, so I
decided to see whether that worked. The use of Project X seems to be the
clincher here. I didn't look into it in detail, but I just made a TS test
recording selected it for burning with mythburn and it went ahead and created
the iso no problems. I manually burnt this iso to dvd using growisofs and it
played fine in my dvd player with no audio sync issues.