[mythtv] NTP config

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 01:19:15 UTC 2005

On 10/8/05, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
> Jack Hyde wrote:
> > The clock drift sounds like it's probably the cause of my woes. The clocks
> > are normally synced to the same ntp server but I just discovered that the
> > ntp process wasn't being launched because the service name changed after an
> > update and I never added it to the default run level. The difference that
> > had accumulated was 12 seconds, which might be the reason why I keep getting
> > screwed. I fixed the problem, and will see what happens with the next bunch
> > of recordings.
>
> Fixing the service was the solution I realize so just take this
> as an inconsequential suggestion. I have one host chime off three
> external clocks then have my other internal hosts chime off of
> that. This way I'm not abusing the free to the public servers
> and my local machines have a better chance of being in sync with
> each other.
>
> --  bjm

I do the same thing, but there's also the ntp pool project which has a
huge number of public servers:

0.pool.ntp.org, 1.pool.ntp.org, 2.pool.ntp.org

As a best practice, Bruce's implementation is the way to go if you
have many hosts running in a single network.  The best thing about
pool.ntp.org is that they are all Stratum 2, so your internal server
is a guaranteed Stratum 3 and therefore "quite" accurate.