[mythtv] Development task list:

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Oct 6 00:04:53 UTC 2005

Isaac Richards wrote:

>>>On a side note, I really would like to contribute more to the
>>>documentation/wiki but it begs for a more official structure as a
>>>guideline to start and I'm afraid that just moving the .info stuff
>>>to .org lacks the adequate skeleton to make the information flow
>>>properly and be more useful to people.  Since it started on the
>>>side, it developed a somewhat halting flow for the information
>>>organization...
>>>

>What would be ideal for you, then?

I've used MediaWiki at my workplace as a kind of IT knowledgebase for
our department.  The first thing I would take advantage of is the
Categorization features so prominent in WikiPedia, for example.  We use
a top level category called "Knowledge Base".  All other categories are
made members of this category which makes an auto-genearated index of
files.  This helps in finding general sections of information.  Pages
are then put into sub-categories and auto-indexed that way as well.

I think for this project, simple categories such as "How-tos",
"Hardware", "Architecture", and the like would be most useful.  Since
categories can be user created, someone to keep a watchful eye on them
would be beneficial to keep things from branching out too far in too
many directions.   These sections could have more specific
sub-categories such as "Capture Cards" for "Hardware", etc. and pages
can live in multiple categories such as "Capture Cards", "IVTV", and
"Hauppauge", and "Troubleshooting" for a page on troubleshooting a PVR-150.

We keep our main page simple linking to a few categories of importance
using large buttons in the style of the site with some informative text
in a 2 column table fo layout leaving most of the navigation to
self-create using the categories and depending on the full-text search
to aid users.

I would be very happy to help out with this in any way possible as the
effort seems to the outside eye to have stalled a bit.  I very much
enjoy this project and enjoy my work with our workplace wiki and think
that it could be helpful here as wel..

Kevin