[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r7389 by danielk

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 4 18:27:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 02:06:12PM -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> Do people run mythtv-setup that often anyway?

Often enough (in the past) that I have an "Exec mythtv-setup" in one
of my menu XML files.

It is (was) for futzing around with backend software settings related
to things like commercial flagging and transcoding.

I agree that the hardware-related things like cards and inputs would
not typically be changed at all (and I indeed have not futzed around
with them since initial setup), but the software stuff is much more
prone to being tweaked or at least browsed, especially when you
consider how most people get confused when looking for configuration
options and don't realize which options are backend-specific and which
are frontend-specific.

Maybe the benignly changeable options in mythtv-setup could be moved
into the frontend configuration GUI as "backend configuration" or
something? I personally actually don't care.

My $0.02,
--Rob