[mythtv] Development task list:

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Oct 5 10:43:45 UTC 2005

>http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/FutureDevelopment
>
>Thoughts/comments?

My personal "interests" are:

- in getting a high quality audio layer out through something like Jack
so that I can futz with the sound.  I use a pretty high end audio system
which actually does all the crossovers and correction on the PC itself.
This stuff is not bad in Myth today, but the input audio isn't sorted
yet (affects MythPhone in my case).  See
http://www.duffroomcorrection.com to see what I am up to

- Remote status info on stuff like LCD panels or a palm pilot.  Ideally
this is two way, ie the panel can show status info and also it can
control a remote frontend.  One of the ways I can see this working is
that the frontend "modules" all inherit from some "status" object and
it's this status object which can be interogated.  Individual modules
could override the status object to show more detailed info, but there
can probably be some high level generic items like: Current Position,
Play length (even this gets a bit strained when you are playing a MAME
game though, etc...)

- A further enhancement on the remote stuff above would be to allow
better control of the frontend from the panel.  Perhaps there is no need
because the "status" object can tell the panel enough state info that it
can then send the appropriate control codes to the frontend?  However,
more robust is to make the active module think a little more in terms of
input like "play playlist", "pause".  For example consider integrating
the remote control play utility in Jinzora, ie you can knock up a play
list on your laptop using a web browser, then hit play and the frontend
wakes up and starts playing.

- Perhaps the MFD route already makes much of the above possible anyway
(depending how it's globally implemented).  eg instead of the current
Frontend/Backend split, perhaps the new paradigm is Backend / Output
Device / Controller ?  This also makes it possible to emulate these
highly expensive multi-room systems that you see with the hugely
expensive Crestron control units that allow you to turn on the lights
upstairs while closing the curtains downstairs...

- Actually a thought occurs whilst writing the above.  It may be
possible to make the new architecture flexible enough that it can be
easily hooked into in order to make Myth more like some "X11" system.
So whilst I personally don't want to open and close the curtains from
Myth, I *can* see that a really high end system might like to have the
lights dim when the movie player comes on - could we have some events
fire when the major status of the frontend changes perhaps?  Plugins can
catch these status changes and fire off some external actions?

- So perhaps the whole framework becomes exactly that.  The TV player
even becomes a kind of plugin and the framework just switches "modes"
all the time into each module.  It can fire events when it does so and
perhaps it also registers some input events so that MFD type remote
control can easily affect it.  When you do a major shift like looking at
the EPG, perhaps the EPG is written more like a seperate module and
hence the input events all change.  (If the video is literally just
streaming video then we can still get it while in the "EPG mode", and
presumably also when we are in music mode, etc.  eg TV "visualisations")

- OK, totally thinking on my feet here - what if the frontend is
decomposed a lot more into individual modules, so the current tv module
might become some "menu modules", an "EPG module", a "listings search
module" and a "video playback module"?  The idea would be to make it
easy to mix and match and build a custom top level interface.  Myth as
such would become the framework that lets screens change from one to the
other and provide some place holders for state so that for example TV
can continue in the background when the music plugin is fired up.

------

- "New Website" - Whilst accepting that wikis are not your thing I have
had a lot of success recently with pmwiki for making websites.  The nice
bit about the wiki is the seperation of content and formatting.
Personally I keep the in text formatting to paragraphs, headings and
lists, and so the syntax doesn't get in the way for me.  Then I can use
the firefox online CSS editor to style up everything to look just how I
like it.  Every page then has an edit button and you can just dip in and
update stuff whenever you want to.  However, if you want another
"Content Management Solution" then Drupal seems to be getting a lot of
attention these days (I didn't like it that much myself)

Well you asked for some thoughts... Thoughts are free, just keep waiting
for the code though...

Ed W