[mythtv] Automatic zoom to remove black borders for dvb

Neale Swinnerton mythtv-dev.spam at isismanor.com
Sun Oct 2 22:43:42 UTC 2005

Ian Caulfield wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Oct 2005, Torbjörn Jansson wrote:
>
>>> Or is there meta data in the
>>> broadcast signal which provides the necessary information?
>>>

>> WSS or whatever it's called tells what aspect it is in, but i asume
>> that WSS
>> is not accurate and/or not being transmitted otherwise there wouldn't
>> be a
>> problem
>

> For DVB it's called AFD (WSS is the analogue version). Myth currently
> doesn't use the AFD info (although auto aspect switching is broken
> anyway). Someone did post a patch at one point...

I think you're refering to a patch I posted. libavformat parses the AFD
descriptor, but there's either a bug in there or in the mythtv code
(which I couldn't find) or the networks don't broadcast the AFD
properly. Sometimes it would miss changes completely. In the end I gave
up on it. I find 'Fill' good enough for 95% of the stuff I watch. Shame
really, checking for AFD changes would be a good 'extra' marker for
Commercial flagging, which never works well enough for me here in the UK.

If someone who understands the code better than me has a look at this,
I'd be very happy to act as guinea pig.....

also, I thought WSS signalled the TV to change aspect ratio, rather than
signalled changes to the recorder?

Neale