[mythtv] Myth recommendation system

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Sat May 28 17:41:16 UTC 2005

On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 02:55:07PM +0100, Charlie Brej wrote:
> Just to let people know I am working on yet another recommendation system
> for MythTV. I am trying to make it as generic as possible to enable the
> system to be used for recommendations made from your viewing patters, from
> websites and from lists such as TVWish (and more). Most importantly detach
> any interaction with the database from external programs.
>
> The input format is in XML and can be kept in the same file as the xmltv
> guide. The file is simple to generate and I have already written 3 screen
> scrapers: Radio Times, Tiscali, and the Mirror (weekdays).
>
> I have made the interface to MythWeb on the program_listing and
> program_details.
> http://www.brej.org/mythtv/recommendations/program_listing.php.htm
> http://www.brej.org/mythtv/recommendations/program_detail.php.htm
>
> The patches and scripts are here:
> http://brej.org/mythtv/recommendations/
>
> I would appreciate any feedback or help.

Well, just a couple of days ago I released the new version of TVWish
which does "suggestions" in the Tivo style, namely programming in
spare disk space and spare tuner time which matches your tastes, learned
in part from your past recordings.    I didn't do a thumbs up/down
system as yet, right now you just list any explicit preferences in
a file, though long term I would like to put in a UI so people could
do thumbing directly in Myth.  (Pretty simple, just stuff some entries
into a database table when a user expresses a preference on a show.)

TVWish can already import recommendations (as opposed to suggestions,
which are deliberately somewhat random) from web URLs in the format
it likes.  Your import of the magazine reviews is nice, do they come
in a formalized format?

As coded now it uses programid, I was about to ask a question on this
list on the state of that.