[mythtv] Unsynchronized id3v2 tags in mythmusic

Hugues Lismonde hugues.lismonde at hli.be
Sat May 14 06:12:38 UTC 2005

On 13 May 2005, at 11:38, Eskil Heyn Olsen wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 11:24 +0200, Hugues Lismonde wrote:
>

>> Well, the idea was to have everything MythTV propose syncable ie.
>> music from mythmusic, feeds from mythnews, pictures from mythgallery,
>> maybe tv programs and so on... but I don't like the way it is handled
>> ("was" actually) on OS X where you need(ed) to use iSync for contacts
>> and stuff and iTunes for music. Now I can see a use to get music back
>> from the iPod to mythmusic but I don't know if it should be a feature
>> of mythmusic, a feature of "mythpod" or something shared between the
>> two plugins.
>>

> Hmmm. This takes me back to writing gnome-pilot. I see the sense in
> what
> you're proposing ; a generic sync architecture for myth that would
> allow
> frontends to sync from devices into the database. Would it be iPod
> only
> or would it be extendable to synchronise to other devices ?
>
> Anyhoo, this is a bigger (but worthwhile) task than I aiming for or
> have
> the time for these days - for now I'll continue with making something
> that works for syncing music from ipod into the mythmusic. Of course,
> there's probably going to be quite a set of similarities (like storing
> the ipod records uuid and podname for later synchronisation), and
> I'd be
> happy to later work this into anything you come up with.
>
> The tarball I sent you is just for reading the iTunesDB on the iPod, I
> don't know how contacts or photos are stored on the thing.

At first it will be iPod only since that's all I own but I'd like to
at least "think" the plugin open to other devices. For what I know,
many flash and HD based devices are simply using the filesystem as a
database so it wont be too hard to support them (at least for music/
video files).

The scope of the task is big but I hope to be able to narrow it to
just syncing music on the iPod without losing the possibility to
further extend it later (bit short on time myself). I'll setup an SVN
repository at home when I have something so anyone can peak at the
code as early as possible.

I've been able to build the code you sent flawlessly on linux and it
works with my iPod so it's a good start. I'm still strugling a bit to
have it working on my Mac (the test app is not working right now).
Contacts and calendars are simple files (vCard and iCal respectively)
so there is not much to do here but since I don't own an iPod Photo
myself I can't say anything about how they are stored either.

Hugues Lismonde
hugues.lismonde at hli.be