[mythtv] Updated version of osx-packager script

Eggert Thorlacius eggi-spam at menandmice.com
Mon May 9 23:17:28 UTC 2005

On 9.5.2005, at 14:52, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 09:16 +0000, Eggert Thorlacius wrote:
>

>> No, the problem seems to be with the --prefix param to the configure
>> script.  I haven't been able to pin this down properly (because every
>> change I make is followed by a three hour compile), but apparently,
>> the prefix is used both to look for compile time dependancies and is
>> compiled into the MythTV source.
>>

> The compile time PREFIX can be overridden by using qmake PREFIX=blah
> while keeping the prefix given to configure for installation. This
> is sort of an undocumented feature for special packaging needs such
> as yours.

Tried that and it didn't work.  The way I understand the original
script, it did (roughly) the following:
     qmake PREFIX=../Resources
     make
     find . -name Makefile rm {} \;
     qmake PREFIX={path to temporary build directory}
     make install

and then copied the 'installed' binaries into an application bundle
that looks like this:
     MythFrontend.app/
         Contents/
             MacOS/
                 mythfrontend
             Resources/
                 lib/
                 share/

Therefore, in order for the packager script to work, the build tools
(make, qmake and install) must have PREFIX set to the build
directory, but the PREFIX macro passed to gcc must be '../
Resources'.  The PREFIX macro is only used in one place in the source
(mythcontext.cpp) and if I replace it with '../Resources'  there, I
get a self-contained bundle.

The problem is that I really don't understand qmake well enough to
tell it to do what I want.  I could of course submit a patch to
mythcontext.cpp which hardwired PREFIX to '../Resources' on the Mac,
but that doesn't look very elegant.

Any thoughts?

Eggert