[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv siparser changes....

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Thu May 5 09:56:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 08:14:31AM +0100, Charlie Brej wrote:
> Yeah the original patch is patchy but I don't think this patch is perfect
> either. Basically this picks off the first descriptor_tag. I did run a few
> scans to look for such a 'tell' but it isn't that easy. I hacked about the
> dvbscan util to tell me more info about the streams it doesn't know about
> (I can send you a patch).  From what I have seen yeah the audio streams
> have an 0x0A tag on them and they are easy to recognize. But the both the
> Audio and Video streams have the 0x52 tag on them (the audio usually has
> the 0x0A first though).  So the patch seems correct unless they change the
> order of these tags.

The audio stream tag (0x0A) is also looked at the next switch statement
and used to parse the language code. This is why I asked on the list a
few days ago about if the subtitle streams etc are always in a private
section. If they were then the whole lot could be consolidated into a
much nicer bit of logic.

Unfortunately it seems that things were done that way because it is
not guaranteed that subtitle streams etc are always in private sections

:-(

> Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> >While we are talking about major TODOs there will be a need for a
> >mechanism for the frontend to tell the backend which PIDs it wants.
>
> I think this would be much simpler done if the backend simply records all
> streams given in the channel description. The front end can then pick and
> choose which streams to play. This will allows you to record interactive
> content, teletext, subtitles... and then maybe later when viewing select
> the stream you want to listen/watch though the interactive interface or a
> manually cycle through all (suspected) audio/video streams.

What about when you need to pick a program off a different transport
stream?

Streams that the mheg application wants are coded in the form
dvb://<original_network_id>.[<transport_stream_id>].<service_id>

It is theoretically possible that a different transport is being used
is it not????

Stuart