[mythtv] [PLUGIN] Key binding editor (MythControls)

Micah F. Galizia mfgalizi at uwo.ca
Thu May 5 00:01:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-05 at 16:44 -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
> Micah F. Galizia wrote:

> >>Any reason why you decided to implement this as a plugin instead of
> >>putting in in the frontend itself?  Also, the keypress handler doesn't
> >>deal with meta keys like Ctrl+P for example.  Other than that, it's a
> >>great idea.
> >

> > Easily enough, this could be put in the frontend.  Not my call.
>
> I've always assumed that the reason for the mythweb interface
> was to avoid a catch 22 where you could screw up your keys to a
> point where you could not fix it through a frontend interface.
> You may want to consider maybe having a 'safe' key bindings command
> line flag or something to get out of situations like that.

I am going to add code (later) to check for key conflicts and illogical
bindings (directions, escape and select).  However, lets think about
that "catch 22" for a second from a human-computer interaction point of
view.

1) Can I see a show of hands from the "average" user that runs a web
server?  Now, a show of hands from those that want a (potentially) cheap
"tivo"?

2) Setting up myth is hard enough, much less a secure web server.

What I'm trying to say is that myth's usability is terrible, and you
have to be pretty hardcore just to get it working.  I say better this
than nothing (or mythweb wrt setting up a remote control), but thats my
two cents -- no need for anyone to take it personally.

> I actually like the idea of this being a module. One way or the
> other it will be a different menu item for the user to select
> and having a module makes it optional.
>
> Donavan, while you are looking at way to simplify the user options,
> maybe it might be worth considering having an Advanced Options
> module so that the pages and pages of the more arcane options
> don't need to be in the binaries at all but are still accessible
> by installing the module.
>
> > However, as a plugin, it is much less complicated to integrate.  Good
> > call on the modifiers.  Will look into it.
>
> The fist thing I noticed is that your bindings may still be returned
> by the database in a logical order but I've done many bad things to
> my test system and the query result order was nearly random. For
> example, I had four "Global"s in the left column where three of
> them had one or two items. An ORDER BY fixed it right up =).

I'm picking up the vibe your laying down ;)  That is a really good idea.
--
Micah F. Galizia
mfgalizi at uwo.ca

"The mark of an immature man is that he wants to die
nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is
that he wants to live humbly for one."   --W. Stekel