[mythtv] ebuilds for all myth components in cvs

Jay Sprenkle jsprenkle at gmail.com
Tue May 3 14:09:55 UTC 2005

> my ebuilds build everything from CVS. the offical ebuilds from gentoo do not
> use cvs. you ask "is this the case with your new ebuilds?"

The cvs version is by nature unstable code that's likely to have a lot of bugs
since it's a snapshot of a work in progress. What's the point of
making an ebuild,
which is a way to mass distribute a release, when the release isn't ready yet?

> is what the case? that you have to use 0.17 mythweb with 0.18 mythtv? if that
> is what you are asking, then the answer is no. i'm using the mythweb produced
> by my ebuild with the mythtv produced my my ebuild.

The gentoo ebuilds don't play together. This has been a problem
with every automated distribution system I've ever tried (portage, cpan, etc).
Very sloppy.

> if you are asking about the gentoo released ebuilds then i cannot help you as
> i don't use them (or mythtv releases for that matter). i only use cvs

I was under the assumption "ebuilds" were part of gentoo.
Is there an "ebuild" that's not part of gentoo?

Why are you preparing ebuilds if you don't even use them?
Shouldn't you be using them so they'll get at least some minimal testing?

> > The php.ini file could really use more comments too. I'm not familiar with
> > PHP and it's not very clear how to edit the servername php code there.
>
> what php.ini file? there is none in mythweb. i'm not really passing the buck,
> but if you are referring to the php.ini file which configures php globally,
> then you might want to check www.php.net or www.google.com. my apache/php
> installation is pretty standard and i'm having no problems.

In the mythweb/config there's a PHP file that has setup/initialization options.
It assumes you know PHP coding. Not everyone does.

> hope this helps (though i all honesty, i don't think it does :-))

Thanks anyway. :)