[mythtv] backend crash can prevent backend restart

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Tue Mar 29 20:04:24 UTC 2005

There have been a couple of occasions where mythbackend has
crashed on me (my own doing, nothing wrong with it) and I was
subsequently unable to restart it with:

    /sbin/service mythbackend start

I tried */sbin/service mythbackend stop* then restarting but
it still would not start.

I took a look at */etc/init.d/mythbackend* and there is a lock
file that prevents starting of mythbackend if it exists.  If
mythbackend crashes, this file remains and prevents it from
being restarted via the script previously mentioned.

Additionally, if mythbackend is not already running when
*/sbin/service mythbackend stop* is run, the lock file does not
get removed if it exists.

I don't know if this is the proper place to let the developers
know about this, so forgive me if not.

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown