[mythtv] CVS + !MMX doesn't compile (and other ./configure issues)

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sat Mar 26 19:57:50 UTC 2005

> Ok, I've added an --enable-mmx parameter. I don't think it's a good
> idea to compile for i386, I think it would be better to optimize for
> the pentium-mmx, and let those with pre-mmx processors compile their
> own. I had a dual pentium-pro machine once, top of the line, it ran
> at a 200Mhz. There is no way it could run a frontend, and as far as
> a backend goes the slots were probably PCI v1.0... Also even if you
> make a pentium-mmx version, you should at least make a pentium2
> version, the cmov instruction alone results in a 10% speedup for
> ffmpeg.

Yes, I'm aware that it's not a great idea, but redhat has it "on good
authority" that i386 tuned for ppro or p4 is actually faster in most
cases than i586 turned for ppro or p4.  can't move to i686 because of
missing registers (or something like that, I'm not a cpu guy) in the via
procs (which is apparently the only difference between 586 and 686 to
gcc).

I do plan to make a couple of different versions of the rpm (even though
the fedora guys don't really want to deal with it), but want to make
sure that the handful that I make will work for as many people as
possible (and then I'll try to make it easy for people to build their
own from the src.rpm and use the new auto-detection stuff for best
optimization)  Unfortunately, right now, I can't seem to get things to
accept the make parameters passed in by rpmbuild, so I have to recreate
all of the arch stuff by hand.  (Axel's rpm's manually add them to
QMAKE_CXXFLAGS_RELEASE and QMAKE_CFLAGS_RELEASE, after doing a "-=
pentiumpro" but that doesn't seem to do anything for me, even if I
hard-code pentiumpro into the configure phase)

Incidentally, is pentium2 better/worse than pentiumpro?

And is there any particular reason why this sort of
detection/optimization isn't done in runtime like it is with programs
like mplayer?

> It looks like the libmythmpeg2 library that was added a few
> weeks ago did not have "#ifdef MMX" protection around a couple
> MMX parts. It should be ok now.

Thanks.

-Chris