[mythtv] MythMusic: MetaLibrarian RFC

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 23 10:10:53 UTC 2005

thor wrote:
>  In the abstract, it's a fine idea. We don't all use parochial code to do host
> name resolution; we all ask DNS to resolve host names for us.  Why not a
> similar service for audio metadata, even if only at the local level.

Thanks, glad you agree on that level :)

>  But describing an idealized service is one thing. Building it is quite
> another. Getting a non-trivial percentage of applications to even be aware of
> its existence is a still much larger hurdle.

Yes I realise this. I belive I can code this system relativly easily.
The principles are fairly standard and there are big chunks of programs
I/others have previously written that could deal with large portions of
this project too.

The changes to Myth would be easy enough to code, albeit take a little time.

Other programs etc. may be harder to convince, and it may take a fair
bit of time to gain acceptance, but everythings got to start somewhere.

>  If you want to get anywhere close to a path that might lead to wide
> acceptance of your idea, you will need to make it work with current
> (unmodified) software. That means, to the extent possible, pushing metadata
> back into the mp3's themselves (ie. writing tags that other software can
> read).

Oh yes. I totally agree. Simon also seemed to hint at this, but I am not
suggesting that it does not write tags to files. If running as a daemon,
apps could submit metadata changes to the MetaLibrarian and it could at
a later date (or immediately) write these changes to the file itself.
I'll rewrite that part of the description to make it clearer that file
based tags will *always* be maintained.

>  So ... uhm ... for mythmusic, where exactly are we on 2.3 versus 2.4 tags? As
> I understand things, we're now writing tags that almost nothing else can
> understand. Is that accurate? If so, can we improve on that  :-)   ?

Well, my general thought was that if the metadata writing was off loaded
to another program/library then it could use a better tag writing
library to write to the files and thus get round the whole problem! It
doesn't really solve it directly tho' and would still add other
dependancies (although I reckon such dependancies could be wrapped up in
to a libmyth component, to keep it "in house" kinda).

I decided last night to write a simple ID3v2 tag writer for Myth and use
that for writing tags. The spec is uber simple to follow so it will only
take a few days of coding to get it right and libid3tag can P155 right
off. It's caused me enough hassle. (OK, it can stick around for reading
tags - that at least seems OK ;)

> btw: DAAP does have rather extensive metadata-description capabilities, but
> in-and-of itself it is just a markup and streaming protocol. It says nothing
> about how that data should be persisted.

Interesting, thanks for the summary. So a DAAP daemon could still use
this as a backend for persistant storage of the data etc.

Cheers for the feedback.

Col.