[mythtv] MythMusic: MetaLibrarian RFC

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 23 09:59:11 UTC 2005

Simon Kenyon wrote:
> a solution to an interesting problem
> but what if i use an ipod?
> putting the metadata in the song and using your mechanism to cache it might
> speed up myth

It wouldn't really speed up myth at all. That's not really the point.
Myth already caches the metadata in a database, I said that in my
outline. Did you read it properly and do you understand how MythMusic
works? And I was never, ever contemplating not putting the metadata in
the song file itself. That is always needed. The description I wrote
described how MetaLibrarian would take on the task of writing metadata
to files for the apps etc.

It would however, speed up Myth, Amarok, etc. etc. as a single entity.
All the programs I regularly use. It would mean they all have a common
metadata backend. It would mean you could use Myth/Amarok/MadMan etc.
etc. to sync playlists to your iPod/iRiver/Archos whatever.

If it works well, maybe even Apple could use it as a backend in iTunes
(ha, yeah right!). But thats the kind of scenario I'm describing.

> so really - this is dumb/stupid/pointless

Your arguments have failed to convince me (yet).

> i would direct you energies into fixing the tagging in mythmusic

This will be done as well. I decided last night to write a simple id3
tagger last night, to get this bad air out of the way. Id3 is about as
simple as it gets so it wont take long to write a little tagger from
scratch, especially for the simple frames Myth uses.

Col.