[mythtv] 'stable' tag proposal

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Wed Mar 23 04:53:53 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 11:52 am, andrew burke wrote:
> I am not familiar enough with CVS to help you implement my suggestions
> using it.  I _am_ familiar enough with subversion (and perforce, if you
> perhaps want to spend a few hundred dollars a head :) ) to do this stuff.

p4's free for open source projects.  It's what I use at work, too.  But, too
much of a pain to setup, relicense every year for OSS projects, etc.

> Perhaps as a first pass, I could set up a subversion repository and a trac
> installation to give you a preview of how it would look.  Would it be
> possible for me to get a tarball of the cvs repository for import into
> subversion?

After doing a quick survey of people with cvs access (ie., the people doing
_actual_ work), I've got one person who'd prefer arch, one who'd prefer
bitkeeper, and one who'd like to use subversion.  _Everyone_, though, is
basically happy with CVS.  Inertia wins.

However:

http://cvs.mythtv.org/mythcvsbackup.tar.bz2

Everything but the CVSROOT dir.  That link will remain valid for 24 hours,
then I'll take it down.
Older revisions of the repository won't really be consistant due to some old
filesystem corruption that was partially fixed from backups, and me doing bad
things a long time back to the repository manually..

> Look, I'm really not trying to be an asshole.  I really, really do want to
> help mythtv improve, because I believe it is a very worthwhile piece of
> software.  I see issues with the development process that I have seen
> other places and I am trying to offer a way to improve that process.  I
> know it's not code that i'm contributing, and so it's hard to quantify how
> much good I could/would do, but honestly, I do believe changing some of
> the development policy on this project would improve everyone's lives.

So far, you've threatened to fork my project unless I submit to your demands
and spent quite a bit of my and my developer's time switching to subversion.
You've refused to help out in any meaningful way otherwise.  And you say
you're not trying to be an asshole?  That's really funny.

Anyway, Jarod Wilson's volunteered to maintain release branches (probably
starting with 0.18, unless he really wants to mess with 0.17).  Guess that
makes all this rather done with?

Isaac