[mythtv] bugzilla usage

Scott Roland scatterlined at mac.com
Tue Mar 22 15:25:20 UTC 2005

Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 March 2005 02:26 am, Thomas Börkel wrote:
>>Isaac Richards wrote:
>>
>>>I'm using it as much as people submitting to it are.  I don't use it for
>>>my own bugs I find, because I fix them as I find them, and going through
>>>the process of submitting a bug for myself, and then marking it as fixed
>>>immediately seems rather silly.
>>
>>Some time ago, in our company, they forced us to make entries in the bug
>>tracker even for our own bugs, which we found by ourselves. At first I
>>thought this is silly, too. But now, I have changed my mind. It is more
>>work for the developers (however, compared to reproducing, fixing,
>>debugging and testing, it's not much), but it greatly helps the project,
>>because issues can be better tracked. Other people (also other devs)
>>find this information in the bug tracker very useful and it also helps
>>for the release notes.
>
> <shrug> I just like using the commit message for that sort of thing.  It'll be
> seen by more people (everyone on the commits list) than a bug that I
> open/close immediately (only me, the way bugzilla's configured).

On the other hand, someone can still bring up a closed bug in the
Bugzilla search. So if I am having a problem with captions I can go over
to Bugzilla and see if someone has fixed it, and if the fix is small
enough I might consider applying the patch to my otherwise fine build
rather than doing a full CVS update and hoping that something else isn't
broken at the moment.
--
Scott Roland