[mythtv] Working myth setups (was Whats wrong with myth)

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 02:08:03 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:11:17 +1000, Ben Walding <ben at walding.com> wrote:
> I chose DVICO based on recommendation of friend who had it going all
> fairly smoothly.  HDTV is choppy, but I blame WiFi network (without any
> evidence). SDTV is almost flawless except for occasional signal drops
> (<1s : I have rabbit ears tangled up with all my other computing gear)

You have good reason to suspect it for HD playback. I poll & graph all
machines in my cluster with SNMP & RRD, in addition to watching
gkrellm.

HD playback (at least on my air2pc) takes between 18Megabit and
45Megabit (depending on the streams), and seems to average about
20-21Megabit.  FF/REW takes more, I've seen it saturate 100M ethernet
(which is why I went to gig between front, back, and commflag.

You won't get 20 Megabit of real L3 usable traffic out of 802.11b,
period, and will be hard pressed to get it out of 802.11a or 802.11g.

I wish the frontend would support a local ringbuffer, not streamed via
the myth protocol. That would help the HDTV bandwidth usage a boatload
for playback.