[mythtv] Whats wrong with myth

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Sun Mar 20 02:35:51 UTC 2005

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>But I will concur with Brad: Donovan?  What you runnin'?  :-)

My first installs were all nForce2 (Chaintech 7NIF2) boards running
FC2.  Which did have drivers issues and the like due to having to run
old nVidia drivers.  Since those initial builds, I've moved over to Suse
(running 9.2 now) with a vanilla 2.6.9 kernel.  The MBE with the HDTV3k
and PVR250 cards in it is an Asus P4800-MX board while the frontends are
the Chaintech boards.

Like I said previously, getting HD running on the system could have
taken < 1/2 hour had I not been an idiot and pointed Myth to the wrong
device.  It's been 22 days and change since the last time the MBE was
restarted, in that time I've yet to have a single problem with either HD
or SD.  I was prepared to have *lots* of problems given that the MBE was
a new motherboard and I was using the HDTV3k drivers, I was pleasantly
surprised.

Don't take all of the above to mean it's all been sweetness and sunshine
here in Stanley manner.  I've had my share of headaches, but my
headaches have come from experimentation and me doing boneheaded things
to one or more of my machines for the most part.  The worst experience
I've had was that whole "unreadable file handle on file creation"
problem that appeared sometime around .15 or so. (Incidently the new
Suse MBE doesn't have this problem)