[mythtv] Extract/export just the closed captioning?

Nathan Neulinger nneul at umr.edu
Sat Mar 19 21:46:35 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 22:02 +0100, Martin Barnasconi wrote:
> On Saturday 19 March 2005 19:15, Nathan Neulinger wrote:
> > Is there any way to extract the closed captioning from a mythtv
> > recording? i.e. to get a transcript of the program?
>
> CC/Subtiles could be extracted from vbi steam and dumped into a separate file.
> As CC/Subtiles extraction differs per card (PVRxxx, bttv/saa7134 or DVBT),
> you need to specify the card you use. Note that all the CC/Subtile code is in
> the experimental phase, even for the existing btc/saa7134 vbi implementation
> in CVS.

I'm not talking about getting captions while reading from the card -
that works great with the bttv series cards I'm using. I'm talking about
the recordings after they are on disk in .nuv form. I can view the
closed captioning/subtitles when playing back a recording from media
library, or could transcode the media with nuvexport, the question is,
is there a straightforward way to extract the data from the .nuv file
itself?

i.e. some mode for nuvexport that would decode but not transcode?

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                       EMail:  nneul at umr.edu
University of Missouri - Rolla         Phone: (573) 341-6679
UMR Information Technology             Fax: (573) 341-4216