[mythtv] Whats wrong with myth

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Sat Mar 19 20:57:57 UTC 2005

Brad Templeton wrote:

>On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 01:20:13AM -0800, Thomas M. Pluth wrote:
>

>>I'll second that.   HDTV works well on my setup.
>>

>Sure, and I have HDTV working too.  He was a bit overbearing saying
>it doesn't work.   But it is true that it took a lot of work to get
>it going, and I know that's true for a lot of people, and I would
>be curious to know if there was even a sizeable group who didn't encounter
>some level of snags to fix in making and HDTV box.  What fraction of
>people just said "apt-get mythtv-suite" then did some basic config and
>had an HD box ready to go?

Well in my case I had zero issues, I built the driver, installed it as
was ready to go (aside from my setting Myth to /dev/video0 instead of
/dev/dtv0 at first).  Then again, from day one I've done my homework and
not tried to force Linux/Myth to adapt to my hardware and instead bought
hardware I knew would less of a hassle.  Every piece of hardware in my
Myth machines was chosen after having researched things on the mailing
lists.

>It's often nothing to do with Myth, but instead the immaturity of the
>various drivers for hardware -- video cards and xvideo, tuner cards,
>sound drivers for multichannel sound.

See above.

>Of course, if you build myth only for yourself, the problems other people
>have in getting it going are not relevant.   If you want the system to
>gain more users (and developers) for either philanthropic or selfish
>reasons, then you have to listen to the people who announce they are
>walking away in frustration.   If they are reasonably skilled linux
>users, and they walk away in frustration, it's not their fault, much
>as any particular error made can be seen to be their fault.

User who choose to walk away because they couldn't make things work on
their hardware either 1) need to wait for a commercial Myth solution or
2) need to do a little homework and select different hardware.  I'm
happy to help people, but most of the complaints I see from people who
are TRULY frustrated and not just doing something wrong involve them
having tried to force their hardware/distro of choice instead of
following the path of least resistance.  Most issues aren't Myth issues
at all and it's not really the Myth developers place to debug every
possible combination of hardware/distro.