[mythtv] Whats wrong with myth

jam at tigger.ws jam at tigger.ws
Sat Mar 19 02:02:03 UTC 2005

Hi

I'm a linux zelot. I recruited two mates and we all used mythtv (0.16,
0.17 CVS). I lost the first one some weeks ago, then yesterday ...

> I was really surprised at how far in front Windows was and, sadly, I think I
> will go with a stand-alone Windows box for my home.

A while ago I posted asking if anybody had mythtv - DVICO - HDTV
working, and received no replies.

The bottom line is HDTV on myth does not work.

Winders + Fusion drivers works well on THIS machine
Last night I tried kaxtv on THIS machine and it works nearly as well as Winders.
Mythtv SDTV is good, but HDTV is unwatchable.

So while myth is good for those who watch old-analog TV and want to
myth-this and myth-that, it is not a solution for those of us who want
to just watch/record/playback DVB.

A pity that the hard, volumous efforts of those putting in the efforts
are being diluted by all the other activity. (mythweather et al)

I've been a programmer for 20 years! I know little indeed about video,
or DVB, I'd tuck in and contribute, but there is no documentation on how
myth is put together, and there seems to be a clicky 'you were not
admitted to the high circle' so buzz off! attitude.

So I will, thanks lots and farewell
James