[mythtv] Re: Problems with DVB in Myth

Tue Mar 15 00:10:55 UTC 2005

Hi,
   Just thought I'd join in.  I've also cc'd the mythtv-dev list.  I see
no reason to leave everyone else out :).

On 15/03/2005, at 9:00 AM, Kent Williams wrote:

>> Can you tell me the channels that this occurs on?  I think it only
>> occurs
>> on channels that have the PCR PID seperate from the Video PID.. The
>> PCR PID is
>> recordered by dvbrecorder and placed into the PMT, but I am not sure
>> if the
>> frontend deals with this properly.. Can you tell me if this tehory is
>> true, so
>> I can actually look for a solution? ALL of hte channels I can get
>> here the
>> PCRPID is the same as the VideoPID, so its not something I can really
>> test.. I
>> also do not have any time issues like you are reporting..
>
> As far as determining if the PCR PID is different
> from the Video PID, I'm not exactly sure how to determine that, I
> suppose dvbsnoop would help here - I'll look at it when I get home
> tonight and get back to you.

Is there a good introduction to this stuff anywhere?  I'm currently
looking through the linuxtv wiki in my spare time (and this link from
it:
http://erg.abdn.ac.uk/research/future-net/digital-video/mpeg2-
trans.html ), but if there is a better resource, I'd love to know about
it.

> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/117680
> However, I suspect he could do with a bit of help which I can't give
> (I've also cc'd him on this).

Yeah - that post sums up my current knowledge.  And help is always
welcome. :)

[Snip - reasons why PS is not a good long-term choice]

> Fair enough - The only negative for TS mode (at least here) is the
> extra
> time it takes to change channels, however I don't notice this too much
> as most of my stuff is pre-recorded.

I don't understand why this delay exists.  Is there a known reason for
it, or is it still on the to-do list?

Cheers,

Will          :-}

--
Dr William Uther                           National ICT Australia
Phone: +61 2 9385 6357               Computer Science and Engineering