[mythtv] Re: Proposed alternate behaviour for show delete

Daniel Manjarres danmanj at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 15:29:58 UTC 2005

Today is national reply to your own email day. Make sure you join the
celebration.

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 01:40:05 -0600, Daniel Manjarres <danmanj at gmail.com> wrote:
> 5) This is really important. Add a group to the watch/delete
> recordings screen with the contents of the delete queues (when
> non-empty). Maybe make it potentially visually annoying, as in: the
> more crap in there the more it catches your eye. Allow users to delete
> everything in there in one-shot with a "Are you sure?" confirmation
> This gives notification and manual confirmation to every auto delete
> method, and together with (4) would have saved my ass, not just the
> asses of people with autoexpire complaints.

It may not have been obvious that the menu for the delete_candidate
program group would include

delete this program NOW!
undelete this program, and adjust it's "expiration" status. (if applicable)
undelete the program,  and never auto delete it again.
delete all programs NOW!
undelete all programs, adjusting their expiration status.

Other programs groups could include an item that says "n shows in this
group are available to undelete", or include the delete_candidate
shows in a different color.

To explain what I mean by adjusting a program's expiration status:
If a program became a delete_candidate because of autoexpire_oldest
change the date of the recording to match the current time. Eventually
it will get autoexpired again.

If a program became a delete_candidate because of max_episodes
increase the episode limit to hold the additional show.

If a program became a delete_candidate because of bad_reception
(described below) mark it's signal level equal to the recording that
replaced it.

If a program became a delete_candidate because of
sports_premption_paranoia (described below)reduce its paranoia level
until is is kept.

et cetera. Basically every auto delete method should provide an adjust method.

bad_reception is a non-existant personal wishlist feature that will
re-record shows that had bad reception the first time they were
recorded. Ideally the determination of a program having bad reception
would be automatically detected somehow, but user overridable.

sports_premption_paranoia is a non-existant personal wishlist feature
that will continue to record timeslots for shows following a wanted
show that happens to be scheduled after a stoopid football game, or
for the football games themselves, in the expectation that they will
be delayed, but only if there are no conflicting recordings. The
paranoia level is selectable, and counts how many 30 minute timeslots
to keep recording for. If the user watches the main program, but not a
paranoid recording of the following timeslots, they become
delete_candidates after (paranoia_level - program_delay_in_timeslots)
* n days.

I wasn't really clear on why I suggest a delete_candidates pool, and
seperate method for choosing from this pool. Basically there can be
many different soft delete methods feeding into the pool, but that
doesn't mean every candidate should be treated equally. The
max_episodes method is always going to put programs into the pool at
recording time, but autoexpire will run on-demand. Without a pool the
user will not have as much of  a chance to undelete programs that are
deleted by method_a, as they have for method_b, which is unfair.