[mythtv] [patch] firewire broadcast connection

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Mar 11 22:55:24 UTC 2005

On Friday 11 March 2005 14:14, Jeremy Muhlich wrote:
> I'm not sure it's mythtv's fault, as the test_mpeg tool from the
> linux1394/iec61883 package exhibits the same problems.  (I think it's
> test_mpeg; I don't have access to my myth box right now and the
> linux1394 svn repo is currently unresponsive)

I'm not entirely sure its either linux1394/iec61883 OR MythTV's fault. I had
my cable box hooked to the FW port on my SB Audigy, no problems whatsoever. I
moved it down to my rack and plugged it into the onboard FW on an Asus
motherboard. Problems abounded. Only got a capture every once in a while, it
was on an odd port/node (0/0) which required some hackery to even make the
channel-changer talk to it.

I've since moved the cable box to another machine, which has a PCI FireWire
card, and all is well again. I haven't missed a single capture and this is
now the highest priority capture device in my production setup.

So it could be the FW chipset or the driver for it. A different card might be
worth a shot, anyhow... The card in my master backend is an oldish Western
Digital one w/an NEC OrangeLink chipset:

00:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): NEC Corporation IEEE 1394 [OrangeLink] Host
Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Subsystem: Orange Micro Root hub
        Memory at df000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

And for reference, here's the dysfunctional one:

00:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000
Controller (PHY/Link) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.: Unknown device 808d
        Memory at d9000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
        Memory at d8800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com