[mythtv] Proposed alternate behaviour for show delete

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Fri Mar 11 07:53:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 06:07:07PM -0500, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> Myth is a lot more than just a PVR?  Or have you missed
> MythMusic/Video/Gallery/Game?  All of which can require large amounts
> of disk space.  While I would agree that a large number of users have a
> large LVM devoted to Myth, I would be surprised to hear that those
> people only use the PVR aspects of Myth.

The autoexpire system simply runs every few minutes and notices that
space is short on the myth partition.  If it does, it deletes shows
in its order (right now highest autoexpire number, then oldest first)
until space is recovered.

This applies to anything that is eating space, be it new recordings,
or ripping DVDs or whatever else.

The only time this fails is if you copy in stuff so fast that you use
up all spare space before the autoexpire can run.   This is actually
rare (dvd rips and cd-rips are not that fast) and can be fixed
by running it more often.

This is not related that much to the concept of undo for delete.   This
is the story any time the disk gets full enough to need autoexpire, be
it due to the proposed feature or just because you are not deleting shows
manually fast enough.