[mythtv] Proposed alternate behaviour for show delete

Robert Middleswarth robert at middleswarth.net
Thu Mar 10 23:32:27 UTC 2005

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> Brad Templeton wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 05:14:06AM -0500, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
>>

>>> Jeremy Palenchar wrote:
>>>
>>> That will still fill up the disk space on the user's machine with
>>> recordings they no longer want and thus making it impossible to
>>> store anything other than recordings on the disk.
>>>

>> Right, as may not be clear, this is the goal.   My impression is a
>> significant proportion of myth users (perhaps the majority) put myth
>> files on a disk partition dedicated only to myth.  Indeed, they often
>> put it on a disk-spanning lvm dedicated only to myth.
>>
>> As such, the space is for nothing else, and so why not have it always
>> fully in use, until myth needs it for something new, which is what
>> the autoexpire function does.
>>

> Myth is a lot more than just a PVR?  Or have you missed
> MythMusic/Video/Gallery/Game?  All of which can require large amounts
> of disk space.  While I would agree that a large number of users have
> a large LVM devoted to Myth, I would be surprised to hear that those
> people only use the PVR aspects of Myth.

Are you talking the backend or the frontend.  I my case yes I use
mythmusic haven't gotten around to setting the rest of them up yet but
in the case of mythmusic I don't even have it installed in the backend
only systems.  All the music is store elsewhere.  If you are talking
about 1 PC running as both a frontend and backend then yea that might be
true altought I think many would still keep the two separt partions.

My view on this is have a checkbox that says allow undelete or howmuch
space to allow for undeleting and then you can set it to zero to make no
undelete or 200 Gigs to make it fill up the drive and always keep it
full but I am not a programer so it is a mood point for me.

Robert