[mythtv] Re: Watching the Watchers Re: Proposed alternate behaviour for show delete

Geoffrey Kruse gkruse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 18:52:46 UTC 2005

>> It would also be nice to have different view recording pages that only
>> showed the recordings the current user has registered for.  This would
>> save sifting through recordings that someone else in your house
>> recorded to find what you are looking for.  Then, when each user
>> deletes the recording it disappears from their view recordings page
>> but still shows up on other users' pages until they delete it.  Once
>> everyone who has registered for the show marks it for deletion, it
>> will be deleted.
>
> Good idea, but why tie this to a concept of users. Simply allow a show
> to belong to multiple recording groups! It's deleted (or marked for
> un-deletion) when it is removed from all recording groups.

The only added benefit I can see to having users is you could have
things like separate bookmarks for each user.  Otherwise I like the
sound of your idea and it seems almost trivial to implement.

> For user co-ordination, you can set up groups like 'Bob's shows',
> 'Carol's shows', ... and the delete button can allow deletes from
> multiple groups at the same time, in case you're watching it together.

Great idea...  Delete from all option could be very useful

> That way, this same mechanism can be used for other purposes. For
> example, after I watch 'Good Eats', I want to move it to an archive
> group. Right now, I have to remember not to delete it by habit, then
> go into the move to recording group. If groups were non-exclusive, I
> could have it placed in both the default and archive groups when it is
> recorded, and not have to do these extra, error prone steps. BTW, this
> is the only situation where I've ever accidentally deleted a program.

I never thought of this situation but you make a good point.  Being
able to have a show in multiple recording groups would add some
usefulness to myth.  I have never actually set up recording groups.
When you set up a group, are you still able to browse the shows by name
within that group?   (ie, are the shows grouped within the group)

Geoff