[mythtv] Error in safe_read and writeblock

Steven mythmail at richardstraat.homedns.org
Thu Mar 10 13:09:26 UTC 2005

Brian C. Huffman wrote:

>I'm running CVS from the evening of the 8th of March however I've seen this for
>some time, I think.
>
>If I allow the ringbuffer to fill while watching livetv and then I rewind all
>the way to the beginning of the ringbuffer (100%), it freezes for a while and
>once it returns if I once again hit rewind, then I see a couple of things.  the
>status indicator shows over 100%full and I see the following messages in the
>backend log:
>
>ERROR: file I/O problem in 'safe_read()': Bad address
>ERROR: file I/O problem in 'safe_read()': Bad address
>ERROR: file I/O problem in 'safe_read()': Bad address
>ERROR: file I/O problem in 'safe_read()': Invalid argument
>ERROR: file I/O problem in 'safe_read()': Invalid argument
>ERROR: file I/O problem in 'safe_read()': Invalid argument
>2005-03-10 07:05:34.043 WriteBlock zerocnt timeout
>ERROR: file I/O problem in 'safe_read()': Bad address
>ERROR: file I/O problem in 'safe_read()': Bad address
>ERROR: file I/O problem in 'safe_read()': Bad address
>ERROR: file I/O problem in 'safe_read()': Invalid argument
>ERROR: file I/O problem in 'safe_read()': Invalid argument
>ERROR: file I/O problem in 'safe_read()': Invalid argument
>2005-03-10 07:05:35.321 WriteBlock zerocnt timeout
>
>When it returns it seems that it's reading from the wrong point in the ring -
>e.g. it's showing the point that I should be seeing at the end rather than the
>beginning.
>
>Brian

Those are the same messages I see in my backend log when the live-tv
buffer reaches it's max size. Playback just stops working and somethimes
the backend crashes.
Isaac said this week that he doesn't see the problem on his system so
I've been playing around with playback settings (AV Sync, Extra Audio
Buffer, etc...) but still haven't found a way to keep it from crashing.
I guess most pleople on this list don't use live-tv too often or have
their buffer large enough to never notice this problem.

Steven