[mythtv] Proposed alternate behaviour for show delete

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Mar 10 01:19:30 UTC 2005

Brad Templeton wrote:

>Hmm, not sure how to explain it better.  My impression is if you were
>to survey you would find that lots of people turn on autoexpire (because
>they believe it is better to lose an old program than not record a new
>one) but also use lots of manual delete.
>
>If you use lots of manual delete, then eventually you will wish for
>undelete, that's just the way of it.

I delete everything after watching it (and I have auto-expire on as a
saftey valve).  I can't recall an instance that the "Are you sure"
question failed me where I wanted to recover a file.  I have had
situations days later where a friend said "Do you still have that
recording" and I wished I hadn't deleted it but, well, c'est la vie.  I
don't particularly want to sacrifice my disk space (no matter how fluid
the content on it) for the rare case I might want to recover something I
deleted before.  I think there is too much room for error trying to let
the system reclaim my disk space promptly that something could go
horribly wrong in the case it did not.  Note: I don't think running the
autoexpire every second is a good choice.

Kevin