[mythtv] Re: apt-get vs cvs compile

andrew burke aburke at bitflood.org
Wed Mar 9 18:52:43 UTC 2005

>> For instance lets say I want all the patches for just
>> MythTV 0.17 and not some code changes for the next
>> release.  How do I get just the patches?
>
> That would require special treatment like a CVS branch for
> 0.17.1. Currently CVS cannot know which changes are for what
> reason. You need to either follow the mythtv-commit messages and judge
> for yourself or ask about specific patches/problems.

I'd like to just reiterate my offer:

I am willing to help mythtv switch to subversion/trac, and additionally
will help with branch strategies, and coordination in finding maintainers
for given branches.

I realize that Isaac and others feel that myth is very much a project for
tinkerers and developers.  However, you have to understand that myth is
such a useful piece of software that its popularity is only going to
increase in the coming months.

People would like to have critical fixes without having to apply patches
and compile themselves.  You guys, the devs, would like to be able to work
without constraints, as you are now.

I can help you get to this point.  I do this for a living with a video
game company, helping multiple franchises maintain a variety of branches
for different purposes.  I know it may seem more complex, but it can
honestly IMPROVE your lives as developers, and it makes it easier to
recruit someone to maintain the stable branches, since they don't have to
constantly monitor and apply patches.

So if you're interested in switching to a much nicer source control system
and having some help with your development process that will improve the
quality of the product you're putting in front of users as well as keeping
them out of your hair as developers, let me know.

andy