[mythtv] Proposed alternate behaviour for show delete

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Wed Mar 9 14:01:09 UTC 2005

Brad Templeton wrote:

>This proposed alternate behaviour requires minor changes to a number of
>different segments, so I thought I would propose it here before attempting
>any coding on it.
>
>As you may not know, autoexpire is not just a boolean, it is a number.
>Programs with a higher autoexpire number expire before anything with a
>lower number.  Programs with 0 never autoexpire.   AFAIK, tvwish is
>the only program making use of this, to allow imported suggestions to
>effectively only take spare space (a value of 2 is sufficient as the default
>is 1.)
>
>Anyway, the proposed change is as follows:
>
>If autoexpire is enabled:
>
>    Have Delete, instead of deleting the program, simply add 1000 or similar
>    large number to autoexpire.
>
>    Modify the query for current recordings to not present any entry with
>    autoexpire >= 1000.  Clients including mythweb will not see them.
>    Alternately train clients to ignore them or show them optionally.
>    (harder)
>
>    Modify the "deleted programs" to show them, but to put a special
>    highlight on these entries, and possibly display them at the end of
>    the list.   Also, it should now show 3 disk space totals -- space used
>    by visible programs, space "Ready for deletion" and actual free disk
>    space from DF.    Total "free" (actual plus ready for deletion) might
>    be shown.   Mythweb would need to be modified to show this.
>    (This might, unfortunately need a protocol modification to show all
>    the different numbers)
>
>    In deleted programs, Delete on an "already deleted" show really deletes
>    it, no undo possible.
>
>    In deleted programs, undelete is offered for already deleted programs.
>
>    Above two items also available in mythweb.
>
>Alternate suggestion (with more UI)
>    Put both "Delete" and "Recycle" on the delete menu, with Recycle grayed
>    out if autoexpire is not enabled.   Frankly I think this is needless
>    complication, and besides, it means a frontend change while changing
>    the meaning of delete is just a backend change.
>

>Result: Delete can be undone, at least until the space is actually
>needed.
>
>Thoughts?

My only issue with this is that it effectively puts every system into a
"full" disk situation.  The system will naturally now fill up to use all
space up to the autoexpire threshold.  If you share this space with your
music, videos, or other content, you make it more difficult for users to
add Videos or music to the system.  With the disk essentially full, you
now have to go delete things (again) in order to free up enough space to
add things.

I think if there was at minimum an option for "Permanently delete on
delete" to keep the existing behavior, I wouldn't see a problem with
adding the feature.

Kevin