[mythtv] Re: DVB - "Unable to find channel in database"

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:05:06 UTC 2005

On Tue,  8 Mar 2005 09:55:59 -0500, Taylor Jacob <rtjacob at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Quoting Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com>:
> > It appears to be partially a backend problem (can't open an invalid
> > channel, null or .) and partially a front end issue, as Taylor alludes
> > to (frontend can't function without a feed). I'm not sure which end
> > needs the fix, I could see where fixing either side could solve the
> > root.
>
> The backend is perfectly fine.  It tunes to a channel and attempts to get data..
> Fixing the backend really won't help much when you have stations that the PMT
> claims its on the air, but no data comes since its realyl off the air.. It
> works when you re-tune for a recording, so I don't see the backend as a
> problem.  Its the frontend that currently doesn't:
>
> 1. Handle running out of video in an elegant way
> 2. Allow you to send a new channel to the backend to re-tune

Assuming that the backend was trying to tune to channel considered
valid by the database, you'd be correct.

I do agree; it would be nice if the frontend was more aware of what
was causing the failure, and could recover, or at least prompt the
user to choose something else.

However, in this specific instance it wasn't the backend tuning to a
channel that had gone away, rather the backend tuning to a NULL or
invalid channel, when compared against the valid channels database.

There should be a way to catch that failure, while not incorrectly
catching the "channel has gone away" issue.