[mythtv] Re: mythtv presentation at the CeBIT

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Mar 3 11:51:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 11:53:16AM +0100, Ralph Metzler wrote:
> Axel Thimm writes:
>  > > They have also donated hardware to a few key people, myself
>  > > included. I'm sure Axel can share more details on why you're way off
>  > > base with the statement that Hauppauge has never helped with any of
>  > > the driver development for their cards.
>  >
>  > Well, Marcus seems to have stopped doing v4l developement on Hauppauge
>  > cards shortly before the millenium, so his statement may have been
>  > true around that time. Nevertheless it is dangerous to come up with
>  > statements that may since have been reverted. 5 years is a long time
>  > in the IT business. In 5 years from now Office will be running on
>  > Microsoft Linux NG.
>
> That's because Marcus and I moved on to DVB shortly before the
> millennium

Yes, everybody knows that. So, please check the facts when looking
back at non-DVB world. And also check the facts within DVB.

> and the lacking support by Hauppauge and others continued in this
> area. Neither Hauppauge nor the actual manufacturer of the DVB cards
> Technotrend released any information.

Technotrend was the designer. And the NDA holder was Siemens/Philips.
So it was only Siemens/Philips that could have done anything as first
tiers.

As for Hauppauge's support in the DVB area, just check the origin of
the cx22702 driver.

> Drivers for the Nexus, the SAA7146 based Nova cards and the USB
> adapters had to be written without their support (but with some
> substantial help by Siemens for the Nexus cards) and less than 5
> years ago. Support by Hauppauge is VERY recent only (maybe 1 year
> compared to 10 years before that).

Last year at the CeBIT there was already a MythTV spot at Hauppauge.
And the year before that Hauppauge went through lengths to get
Conexant's firmware redistributable for Linux (otherwise ATrpms and
KnoppMyth would still be w/o). For earlier Linux support you can
contact the shs folks.

It is just natural that the support become better from year to
year. And in a couple of years Hauppauge will have in-house Linux
developers, I'm sure.

Please no more off-topic unbased ranting and whining, even when it
comes from the Metzler Brothers ;)

You did have your hard time, no doubt, and your work was very
impressive. But thing are indeed very different now.

This is the third offer: If you have any requests (on current
hardware), put them forward!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net