[mythtv] Re: New idea for storing recordings to disks

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Thu Jun 30 03:09:53 UTC 2005

Hamish Moffatt <hamish at cloud.net.au> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:50:29AM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> I don't really understand why you wouldn't just put enough disk space in
> the backend. Disk is cheap.

That's a very Microsoft answer ;->

Yes, disk is cheap, but you eventually run out if disk controllers,
case slots, power, cooling. And then you're back where this thread
started. Unless you want to start playing with GFS, but see point two
below.

Also, unless you are using RAID/mirroring, every disk you add to an
LVM multiplies the change of failure and loosing all your
recordings. And if you do use it, see above.
--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill at AJLC.Waterloo.ON.CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571