[mythtv] Re: New idea for storing recordings to disks

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 29 14:33:14 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:50:29AM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > The point is that for MOST recording methods, Myth can't known in
> > advance whether a recording will fit in a given location. Only
> > PVR-x50 recordings seem to have predictable file size - DVB, ATSC,
> > RTJPEG etc do not.
>
> But that's the case currently, anyway.  As it is now, we only have a
> setting that controls the minimum amount of free space that must be
> available before Myth will start a new recording.  There's no
> guarantee that there is actually enough space to *finish* the
> recording... you just have to set the number high enough and hope
> for the best.

Doesn't auto-expire run every <n> minutes? It seems that if free space
dips below this threshold during the making of a recording, then
auto-expire should kick in to free up some more space.

If your bitrate is wildly variable, then it seems like the solution is
to simply decrease <n> (e.g., have auto-expire make more frequent
checks).

It also means that Myth doesn't need to know the eventual size of the
recording, since it's checking for free space every so often anyway.

--Rob