[mythtv] Building from CVS Question

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cat.nyu.edu
Mon Jun 27 15:18:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 11:01 -0400, Tom Lichti wrote:
> I always do a
>
> make clean ; make distclean
>
> before I build. Is this strictly necessary? I'm sure it makes the
> compile take longer, just wondering if I need to do this everytime or not.

Usually if anyone makes a change that requires a distclean this will
be noted in the commit message. We try to avoid this as much as
possible. But if you are compiling often you should install ccache
which will make distclean compiles much faster.

The exception is if you are compiling a frontend or backend only, such
as in the MacOS X port, then you need to do a distclean every time.

Also if you find a bug then you should do a distclean followed by
a full recompile of the latest svn head before reporting the bug,
because many bug reports are on things in already fixed in the
latest code. Of course, if you find the actual piece of code that
is broken in the latest CVS and provide a patch you don't need to
do a full distclean.

-- Daniel