Anon SVN access, etc (was Re: [mythtv] New commits mailing list: Woo hoo!)

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Fri Jun 24 20:36:35 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 11:48:00AM +1000, Mark Spieth wrote:

> is it possible (read easy) to have a private delta project branch with svn
> without having to import all the time to create the baseline? i.e. remote
> baseline, local project based on remote project. sorry if this is too
> offtopic.

I used to checkout CVS then check that into local svn.

The best way I've found to replicate this (& also the delta's you want)
is to

1) Fresh svn co from upstream
2) rsync (1) to your local copy of upstream, excluding .svn dir's
3) svn ci to your local svn repository.

Then when you need to keep in sync, repeat the above process
but change step 1 to an update.

Then you can create all the private branches you want, plus control
anything you are working on without affecting anyone else.

The rsync command is basically

rsync -av --delete --exclude=.svn upstream-dir/ local-upstream-dir/

The only thing I found I had left to do is to tell my local svn
about all the additions & deletions, which isn't that hard.

Stuart