[mythtv] improving mythvideo

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Thu Jun 16 01:57:14 UTC 2005

George Nassas wrote:

> Hi all, I'm a happy user and minor tweaker of mythtv looking to give
> back to the community and improve my knowledge of the system.
> Something that has been irking me is how mythvideo shells out to an
> external program to play videos so I'd like to do something in this area.
>
> My initial thought was to adapt mythvideo to be a frontend for the
> xine library thereby having the myth keybindings apply for video
> playback. But, after a private conversation with J. Donavan Stanley it
> sounds like a better approach would be to broaden the internal video
> player to handle external videos.
>
> I think everyone agrees this is a good idea so I'm wondering why
> hasn't it been done before? Or, is someone currently working on this?

For quite some time you've been able to specify "Internal" as the player
for video files and avoid shelling out however the internal player has
had problems.  As Isaac mentioned, Mark Spieth's patch deals with the
major issue of seeking in AVI files.  I've been running his patch here
myself and haven't encountered any issues with it.