[mythtv] Off list: Chroma OSD (again)

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Wed Jun 8 05:26:44 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 11:05 pm, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> Right, the BlendToBlack() function works as a post process on an ARGB
> buffer so that it can be blitted without having to do a full composite
> if the background is all black (used in the signal monitor patch, but
> I was thinking of the ChromaKey OSD). It is basically a hack to get
> around slow software composits that won't be a problem anymore with the
> new UI stuff. BlendToChromaKey() would be the same, once the new
> UI stuff is in we probably won't need it unless XVideo is somehow
> incompatible with MythUI's OpenGL drawing methods.

As long as it can switch painter objects on a per-screen basis (normal UI ->
video playback -> back), there won't be any incompatibility.  Right now, I
can't think of anything that would make that difficult at all.

> > yuv420 one for software blended OSD, argb for things like the pvr-350,
> > could possibly do one for this sort of this, etc).
>
> Cool, the slowest thing in Andy's ChromaKey OSD is the yuv->argb
> conversion, which we won't need anymore...
>
> How is the MythUI stuff going?

It's getting there.  I need to finish breaking apart the themedmenu class so
that it's not doing any drawing on its own, and instead using the other base
object classes properly.  Along with that, I need to start adding xml parsing
(mainly cut'n'paste from the old code) and stuff to create (mostly) deep
copies of objects so any object in an xml file can inherit from a base type
(should simplify the xml theme files quite a bit)..

Once I've got that all done and I'm happy with things, I'm going to write up a
"here's how stuff works" doc, so hopefully other people can start helping
convert the rest of the UI over.

I'm liking how things are going so far - for instance, even for people without
opengl support, the new qt-based painter should be significantly faster than
the existing code.  Dirty-only redraws never worked entirely properly with
the old stuff, and even then it wasn't very fine grained.

Isaac