[mythtv] problem with HDTV in Australia

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Thu Jul 28 21:53:30 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:26:44PM -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 10:58 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 10:07:37AM +1000, Berry, David wrote:
> > > Disk speed not up to scratch??
>
> > I think this should show up as system time in top, but I see 50% idle.
> > I'm running LVM across two disks, no RAID. Should be fast enough as the
> > data rates aren't really very high - no more than 20Mbit/second, because
> > that's all that can come in off the air.
> When you first posted I assumed you just had a bad signal. But if you
> only have 50% idle when just recording, something is wrong. It should
> be under 10% unless this is a really low end machine.

Sorry, that's 50% during playback. I don't know about recording, but
it's very low.

> My first guess would be that you should make sure DMA is working. Then
> make sure that there aren't a lot of errors coming out of some driver.
> hdparm and dmesg are your friends here.

I can't run the hdparm test right now, but I'm quite sure DMA is enabled and
working. Certainly nothing from dmesg during regular SDTV recording,
though I didn't check after the HDTV recording in particular.

Are you able to download my recording and try it on your system?

Hamish